8.19.2005

Dogs Do Not Have Sound Minds!

Yes, in case you didn't get it from the title, my post today was inspired by my oldest "child", a 12-year-old, Shihtzu. People that know me well understand that I just love thunderstorms because they so exhibit the power of God. However, when I am trying to sleep and would normally be sleeping through them (I am a very sound sleeper) except for the fact that my dog is scared out of her mind, I am not enjoying them very much. Especially when the disturbance occurs from 3:30am to 5:30am.

My poor "baby" Jessie. She was so scared, but all I could do was be mad at her for waking and keeping me up last night during the storms. Jessie did not know that she was safe inside the house with me and that the storms couldn't hurt her. I think it was about 4:30am or so when this verse came to my mind and I realized that my poor scared dog really couldn't help it that she didn't understand.

2 Timothy 1:7 For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.
My dog does not have a sound mind. I wonder at times, how much of a mind dogs really have, but that is a story for a different day. Fortunately, God did give us, as His children, a spirit of power, love and a sound mind. The closer we are to God and the more we can step back and take our emotions and ourselves out of the picture, the more of these attributes we are able to possess. I know from experience that it takes practice.

Finally, I did learn a lesson from this morning/last night:

One must have compassion even if one is tired and is frustrated with "someone" (even a fuzzy someone) who is going through a tough time.

Verses to meditate on:
Bear ye one another's burdens, and so fulfil the law of Christ. - Galatians 6:2

We then that are strong ought to bear the infirmities of the weak, and not to please ourselves. - Romans 15:1

2 Comments:

At 1:58 PM, Blogger Addie said...

Great story! Thanks for sharing. I think we are all at our worst when we are woken up in the middle of the night. Maybe we could get Jessie some ear plugs for the rest of the rainy season?

 
At 2:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You will laugh at this, but we do have "doggie valium" for her just for the storms! I was just too lazy to get up and was hoping they wouldn't last as long as they did! :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home