8.20.2005

Home is Where the Heart Is

Today I'm reflecting on a song we will sing tomorrow in our Sunday morning service entitled "Better is One Day" by Matt Redman. My goal is to do these "reflections" on Friday so that anyone who might attend Grace Church on the following Sunday may have a deeper worship experience by being challenged to think more about the songs we sing.


Better is one day in Your courts,
Better is one day in Your house,
Better is one day in Your courts,
Than thousands elsewhere.

Many of us have heard this chorus before. For those of us who love God and are actively pursuing a life of serving Him, I don't think many choruses out there portray the feeling of being "ambassadors for Christ" (2Cor 5:20) quite like this song does. Although there is a cost to leadership and serving God, there is really no place I would rather be, because then my heart is satisfied.

How lovely is Your dwelling place,
O Lord almighty,
For my soul longs and even faints
For You.
For here my heart is satisfied
Within Your presence.
I sing beneath the shadow of
Your wings.
I left the golf course Thursday night and was discussing this concept with a fellow sister in Christ. The closer I get to God, the more out of place I feel here amidst our materialistic, pleasure driven society - the more I feel like an "ambassador".

My heart and flesh cry out
For You, the living God.
Your Spirit’s water
to my soul.
I’ve tasted and I’ve seen.
Come once again to me.
I will draw near to You, I will draw near to You, to You.
There is so much more to life than the pleasures of this world and it makes me sad because I don't think that the majority of people out there realize what they are missing. How do we disentangle ourselves enough from the affairs of this world so that we can make an impact and still stay in the world where we can make an impact? What a "war" we are in. Unfortunately I believe that most of the battle is within ourselves. We, as Christians, need to remember that this world is not our home.

Questions to think about:
1) Where is my heart...really? Am I already "home"?
2) Is the Holy Spirit like water to my soul?
3) Have I "tasted" and "seen" the fulfillment of being in God's presence and of serving Him?
2 Timothy 2:4 No one engaged in warfare entangles himself with
the affairs of this life, that he may please him who enlisted him as a soldier. (NKJV)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home